Criminal Court Overview
All charges under the Criminal Code of Canada, the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, the Youth Criminal Justice Act and most other federal statutes start off in the Ontario Court of Justice. Approximately 95% of these charges are also completed in the Ontario Court of Justice.
In this section, you will find:
- criminal court and criminal case information including how to find a case, local courthouse contact information and how to attend court
- announcements, rules, practice directions, notices, guidelines and forms relating to criminal proceedings, including archived material
- a step-by-step guide explaining each stage of a criminal case
Court and case information
This section contains information on how to find an active court case (Daily court lists and a Court case search tool), as well as contact information for courthouses, including locations, email addresses and telephone numbers.
Daily court lists
The Ontario Court of Justice publishes daily court lists online. These list adult criminal court cases, including name, time, room number and type of court appearance, for cases scheduled on the current day and the following day.
Some criminal cases are not included on the daily court lists. These include cases subject to public access restrictions, such as youth criminal cases. If you cannot find your case on the daily court list, you should contact the courthouse using the Courthouse location and information search tool below.
Court cases online
The “Court Case Search Tool”, available through Justice Services Online, allows users (anyone with a Service Ontario One-key account) to search for Ontario Court of Justice adult criminal court case information, including future court dates and appearance type, by entering an accused person’s name or the information number.Court Case Search Tool
Find a court and local contacts
To search for a particular court location and all available contact information relating to that location, including telephone numbers and email addresses, use the Courthouse location and information search tool. You should also contact the courthouse that heard the case in order to access court documents.
Search by courthouse location
The Government of Ontario website also has contact information and links for all Ontario Court of Justice courthouses. This includes:
- hours of operation, maps, contact and accessibility information
- satellite and fly-in courts information
- services offered
- list of municipal Provincial Offences Court locations across Ontario
- contact information for the local Crown Attorney’s office