On this page

Provincial Offences Overview

The Ontario Court of Justice hears provincial offences cases.

Examples of these cases include:
  • Highway Traffic Act charges such as speeding;
  • Municipal by-law charges which include excessive noise, animal control; and
  • Charges laid under provincial legislation such as the Environmental Protection ActOccupational Health and Safety ActDog Owners’ Liability Act and the Trespass to Property Act.

Municipalities administer courts where most provincial offence cases are heard, Criminal and Family Courts are administered by the province.

If you have questions about court services or accessibility, contact the municipal offices shown on your ticket or summons.

Court process

The Guide for Defendants in Provincial Offences Cases and Guide to Appeals in Provincial Offences Cases provide general information about the POA court processes.

Court and case information

Provincial Offences courthouse locations and contacts

Municipal court locations and contact information is on the Ministry of the Attorney General’s website.

Zoom coordinates for court appearance

Information about Zoom coordinates can be found in the following places:

  • The Notice of Trial if you received a ticket;
  • The Summons if you did not receive a ticket;
  • The website for the municipal court office listed on the Notice of Trial or Summons. Websites can be located on the Ministry of the Attorney General’s website: Provincial Offences Court locations
  • Contacting the Court Office. Contact information is listed on the Ministry of the Attorney General’s website: Provincial Offences Court locations

You may also contact the Court Office listed on the Notice of Trial or summons to request an in-person appearance or appearance by video.

Provincial Offences Court locations

Complaints about judicial conduct

There are different processes to follow depending on whether you have a complaint about a decision made by a judge or justice of the peace, and whether you have a complaint about the conduct of a judge or justice of the peace. 

More information

Status of Provincial Offences Act case

You can find out about the status of your Provincial Offences Act matter, excluding parking tickets on the Ministry of the Attorney General's website.

You can also contact the court listed on the ticket or summons that you received.

Check the status of traffic tickets and fines online or request a meeting to resolve your case

How do I find the set fine amount on my ticket?

Your ticket will include a space for the set fine. The set fines can be located here: Set fines.

The total payable on your ticket is the set fine, plus $5.00 costs, plus the applicable surcharge amount. The surcharge amount is set out in O. Reg. 161/00: Victim Fine Surcharges.

Review the regulation

Access to Provincial Offences court records 

To access provincial offences court records, you will have to contact the courthouse where the proceeding occurred. If you are seeking access to records, you should consult the Ministry of Attorney General Court Services Division Policies and Procedure on Public Access to Court Files, Documents and Exhibits which provides information on what records may be accessible.

Access court files, documents and exhibits

Useful resources

Ontario Court of Justice