Osgoode Hall was originally built in 1832 by the Law Society of Upper Canada and named after William Osgoode, the first Chief Justice of the Province. Osgoode Hall has housed the highest courts in Ontario since 1846. It continues to be used as a working courthouse for the Court of Appeal for Ontario and the Superior Court of Justice.
Casual, unobtrusive photographs for personal use can be taken in Osgoode Hall, as long as you do not capture images of any person entering or leaving a courtroom, or any other person who has not provided their consent. Wedding, engagement, professional, commercial, or staged photography is not permitted.
The Law Society of Ontario offers tours of Osgoode Hall during the summer. More information about tours and visiting Osgoode Hall can be found on the Law Society’s website.
Osgoode Hall participates in Toronto’s annual Doors Open Toronto event, offering members of the public a behind the scenes look at Osgoode Hall, including the Court of Appeal and the Law Society of Ontario. More information can be found on the Doors Open Ontario website.