(Matters of such length that they cannot be accommodated in regularly scheduled bail courts)
The following practice is to be implemented to ensure consistent practices in all Ontario Court of Justice locations. This practice is effective January 15, 2020.
- The attached form (Word, PDF) is to be made available to counsel to complete.
- Counsel (defence and crown) consult to determine a reasonable assessment of the time required, interpreter or language needs, disability-related accommodation needs and any other special considerations for the hearing.
- Counsel will then attend in person or by telephone before the justice of the peace designated by the Regional Senior Justice of the Peace for a bail hearing conference with respect to the need for a special bail hearing and reasonable time requirements. The designate will endorse the form with the time to be scheduled. Each region will issue a protocol that will provide a process for contacting the designate. This conference will be facilitated on the same day that the request for the bail hearing conference is made or on a date requested by counsel and agreed upon by the judiciary or their designate.
- Counsel will then take the completed signed form to the trial coordinator.
- The trial coordinator ascertains the availability of a courtroom, courtroom staff and interpreters (if required), and any requested disability-related accommodations.
- The trial coordinator telephones or e-mails the scheduler in the Office of the Regional Senior Justice of the Peace to confirm availability of a justice of the peace for the date(s) identified.
- The scheduler confirms availability of a justice of the peace for the hearing and informs the trial coordinator.
- The trial coordinator confirms the date on the form and returns it to counsel.
- Counsel returns to court to file the form and put the arranged date on the record.
- The trial coordinator confirms arrangements by email (and advises of any subsequent changes) to counsel, scheduler, accessibility coordinator, other relevant CSD staff and management.